Monday, September 25, 2006

Mercury News

After reading a few articles from the San Jose Mercury News, I looked online at the Mercury News website. The first thing I noticed was that the news on the front page of the newspaper was not on the opening page of the website. Clearly, the news on the website is more updated and can be modified at any point throughout the day. As well, I found it more difficult to navigate myself throughout the website, which made it harder for me to read the articles I was looking for. Because of the fact that I may not be technologically savvy, it was probably the main reason why it was harder to work the online edition.
As I compared the news in the two different media forms, I concluded that the Mercury News online is more knowledgeable. There are the same articles, word for word, are published in both forms, which keeps the news understandable and credible. But there are continuous updates and new news online, whereas the hard copy newspaper is published in the morning, and by the evening, that news is considered “old.” After finishing one of the articles online, I noticed that there was the option to comment on the article. I feel this is very important and a good idea because it allows people to be involved with the news. Through other’s comments, it allows people to learn more about the topic, which keeps people well informed. Although there are many features that appeal to me on the online publishing of Mercury News, I still prefer reading the hard copy of the newspaper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home